Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Christology Reflection (Week 1)

Christians are the followers of Christ. Christ is the core of Christianity. Therefore the identity of Jesus Christ is very significant for Christianity.

The identity of Christ has been debated among theologians. The deity and the humanity of Jesus have been exposed to various explanations by many theologians. Thus, most of them have tried to search the history and understand the historical Jesus. As a result, some of them portray Christology as “Christology from above” and others “Christology from below”.

Some of them consider that the Christ of the Gospel can be believed, and that history can be found in Scripture. The witnesses (from Scripture) of Jesus as divine and human can be trusted, and faith can be drawn from there. The other group emphasises much more the search of historical Jesus. For them, faith lies on the truth of the historicity of Jesus.

Listening to what these groups are saying makes me feel confused as it is complicated. It has shaken my faith and understanding of the Lord Jesus Christ. On one hand, it helps me to re-examine what and who I believe in. For me, I believe that Jesus Christ is fully divine and human. He suffered, died, rose again and ascended to heaven. Thus I will use both my understanding from Scripture and from history to comprehend Christology.

For me, understanding Christology lies in the proclamation of the churches. The historicity of Jesus will help me to understand more about the humanity of Jesus Christ.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben Leong said...

great post!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very honest reflection. Nice read.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I am impressed, bro. Well done. Keep it up.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Rev. Silvester L.M. David said...

Good and honest reflection. Just an advise....may not sound scholarly....but it's from experience. Dont think too much and try to understand things that are beyond our comprehension. It will only lead us into worse confussion and frustration. Just trust and obey....for there is no other way....to be happy in Jesus...just trust and obey.

God be with you man.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oli said
Thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate what you guys have suggested.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home